Replacing a 2007-2013 Mini Cooper S R56 battery is a straightforward task. Mini uses a standard Group Size H5 battery. The battery is located under the hood on the passenger side under the windshield cowl cover.
1. Remove the metal 10mm hex screw located next to the windshield on the passenger size.
2. Remove the 10mm plastic hex nut.
3. Remove the hood rubber seal.
4. Carefully remove the passenger side windshield cowl.
5. Remove the battery hold-down bracket and disconnect the battery vent line.
6. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
7. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
8. Remove the battery and install the new one.
9. Reinstall the battery hold-down bracket.
10. Reconnect the battery vent line.
11. Connect the battery positive terminal first.
12. Connect the battery negative terminal.
13. Reinstall the cowl cover.