In this article I will demonstrate to you how to replace the front axle shafts on a BMW F10 535i xDrive. This article covers the passenger side axle removal, procedure for the driver’s side is pretty much the same.
1. Remove the brake caliper, unclip the brake hose from the steering knuckle and lay the caliper aside. You can also use a wire to hang the caliper. Don’t put any strain on the brake hose as it can get damaged.
2. Disconnect the ABS Sensor.
Remove the brake disc set screw and remove the brake disc.
4. Remove the axle shaft bolt.
5. Unbolt the strut from the lower control arm.
6. Remove the tie rod nut. The tie rod should drop out of the steering knuckle easily, if not a slight tap on it should do it.
7. Unbolt the pinch bolt that holds the upper control arm to the steering knuckle. Use an air hammer to drive the upper control arm ball joint out of the steering knuckle.
8. Unbolt the lower control arm from the subframe.
9. Move the steering knuckle with the lower control arm attached to the side.
10. Loosen the upper strut mount bolts. Now you should have enough space and to get the axle out of the car.
11. Use a large screwdriver or preferably something with a dull end to disengage the axle from the differential. One good tap should do it.
12. Slide the axle shaft out of the differential. Consider replacing the axle shaft seal before installing the new axle shaft. Refill the differential if you loose any diff fluid.
Install the new axle shaft in the reverse order. Use a new axle shaft bolt and torque it to 155 ft-lbs of torque plus 90 degrees.